Sunday, March 8, 2009

Beginning Transitions

I spent this past weekend in Catonsville, Maryland, at my final meeting of the Board of Directors for the Central Atlantic Conference of the United Church of Christ, a group with a name that you shouldn't try to say five times really fast. I've been a member of the CAC's board for the last four years and have chaired the Mission, Vision & Communication working group of the board for the last two. During my time with the board, we've dealt with all kinds of issues: budgets, policies, resolutions, personnel issues, youth work. It hasn't all been easy, but I've always believed that it is every pastor's responsibility to be involved in the life of the wider church as well as leading their own congregation. I am honored to have been able to work with such a wonderful conference staff as well as fantastic board members who have provided such capable leadership. While I'm certainly glad to be moving on, I'll definitely miss them all!

Tomorrow, I head up to Norwalk for my first round of meetings with my new church. I'll take a carload of books to store at the church until I officially begin my new job and, over the course of the afternoon and evening, I'll meet with the Website Committee, the Deacons, the Finance Chair, and will stick my head into meetings of the Worship Commission and the Service Commission. In addition to that, I'll try to get some face-time with the staff as well as meeting with the director of the Norwalk Children's Foundation, who happens to be a church member as well. Then, on my way home, I'll stop at the grocery.

No comments: