Thursday, March 18, 2010

Going to Cuba!!!

It's official.

After months of hush-hush planning, Amistad is going to Cuba. She'll arrive in Matanzas, Cuba on March 22 and will then sail on to Havana on March 25, celebrating both the 10th anniversary of her launch in Mystic Seaport and the 202nd anniversary of the British Parliament's abolition of the international slave trade.

As wonderful as it is that the schooner is going, my personal good news is that I'm going with her. I'll be flying to Miami this Sunday sometime after church and will then fly to Havana on Monday, March 22. I'll get to spend the week with Amistad in Cuba, representing the United Church of Christ and covering the events for the CT UCC newspaper ConnTact, as well as uploading photos and blog entries as I go. I'm hopeful that I'll also be able to get some local press coverage of the event, but we'll see.

For now, you can see the article at the CT Conference's website and at Amistad's website. Be sure to check back here in the next week for my personal travel log.

No comments: